Dr. Philip T. May
Phillip’s relationship with the W. Frank Barton School of Business dates back to 1974, when he was asked by the dean to develop computer applications for WSU’s accounting curriculum in an era before desk-top micro-computers. Phillip and his team created the first micro-computer laboratory for accounting students in Kansas and the first text materials for accounting-computer applications, materials that are now standard in the accountancy curriculum.
Phillip received his Bachelor of Arts degree at Lawrence University at Appleton, Wis., his Master of Business Administration at Indiana University and his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin. He taught at Wichita State for 30 years and received the Bender of Twigs recognition for 25 years of service. He received the Regents Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1979. In 1998, he was named Outstanding Researcher-Writer of the Year for the W. Frank Barton School of Business and in 1999 he received the Recognition Award from the WSU Alumni Association.
Phillip is a member of the Barton School Society, the Beta Gamma Sigma Business Honor Society, Beta Alpha Psi accounting fraternity and WSU's ICAA (Intercollegiate Athletics Association). He has been a member of the Faculty Senate for more than 20 years. In 2010, he was a cabinet member for the WSU Foundation’s Promise for the Future Campaign, which secured 100 new legacy gifts. He is a President’s Club Life Member and a life member of the WSU Alumni Association. He serves on the WSU Alumni Association Board of Directors.
Outside of academia he loves to cheer on the Shockers and provides generous financial support to WSU athletics. In his retirement, Phillip tutors Shocker athletes in accounting. Phillip and his late wife, Mary, established the Phil and Mary May Endowed Scholarship in 2008.
"Ed" Mahmoud Sawan
During the 30 years he taught at Wichita State, Ed approached each semester with new notes, tests and homework assignments. Students benefitted from his belief that teaching is not delivering knowledge but sharing knowledge.
Ed received his Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering in 1973 and his Master of Science in automatic control and computer science in 1976 from the University of Alexandria in Egypt. He received his doctorate in electrical engineering in 1979 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. That same year, he joined the WSU engineering faculty and taught there until his retirement in 2009. He was interim chair and chair of his department for six years; he also was graduate coordinator for electrical engineering students from 1993 to 2006.
During his time at Wichita State, Ed chaired 32 doctoral dissertation committees and supervised more than 70 theses or directed projects. He won two college-level teaching awards and one university-level award for his dedication in the classroom. In 2009, he was given the Academy for Effective Teaching Award and in 1983 and 2002 he received the Dwane and Velma Wallace Award for Excellence in Teaching, an award rarely given twice to the same person. Ed qualified for the Bender of Twigs after teaching for 25 years at WSU.
In honor of his wife, who died in 2010, Ed created the Maha Maggie Sawan Fellowship for International Students, the largest general graduate fellowship at WSU. It funds two fellowships each year.
Ed lives in Wichita. As professor emeritus, he continues to teach part time in the College of Engineering.
ASSOCIATE: Cornejo & Sons
In 1952, Jess M. Cornejo started a construction and excavating company that has grown into one of the largest minority-owned businesses in the Wichita area. Cornejo & Sons Inc., now a heavy highway paving and construction materials company, has expanded into four companies; Cornejo Construction, CMC Concrete Materials Co., CDR Construction Demolition and Recycle, and Cornejo Materials. The company has mining operations and construction landfills in north and south Wichita, and ready-mix plants in Wichita, El Dorado, Howard and Eureka. In 2005, Cornejo & Sons was ranked among the top 500 Hispanic-owned businesses by Hispanic Business magazine.
In 1986, Jess Cornejo and his wife, Josephine, established the Jess Cornejo/Cornejo & Sons Scholarship Fund to benefit Operation Success, a program serving low-income, minority and first-generation college students at Wichita State. Josephine is a President’s Club Life Member at WSU.
Ron, one of Jess Cornejo’s five sons, attended WSU for a short period before he decided to work full-time for his father. Ron has served on the W. Frank Barton School of Business Advisory Board and the WSU Foundation National Advisory Council. His brother, Marty Cornejo, sits on the Shocker Athletic Scholarship Organization (SASO) Board of Directors. Both Marty and Ron continue their father’s business.
Cornejo & Sons supports SASO and other WSU athletic programs.
ASSOCIATE: Fidelity Bank
For four generations, Fidelity’s goal has been to provide its customers with service, convenience and the opportunity to grow financially. Fidelity is a family-owned financial institution and the second largest locally owned bank in Wichita. It operates in 22 locations in the metro areas of Wichita and Oklahoma City and has 450 employees.
Fidelity Investment Company Inc., the forerunner of Fidelity Bank, was founded in Wichita in 1905 as a mortgage lender. In 1942, Homer Bastian recognized Wichita’s growth potential as a trade area and purchased one-half interest in Fidelity Investment. In 1946, Homer’s son, Marvin, joined his father as a loan counselor and, a year later, purchased the company’s remaining stock. In the late 1960s, Marvin Bastian became chairman of the Fidelity companies. Marvin’s sons, Clark ’75 and Clay Bastian, joined Fidelity in 1975 and 1979, respectively. Clark currently serves as chairman and CEO. He and his wife, Sharon ’76, are lifetime members of the WSU Alumni Association and Clark is a member of the WSU Foundation National Advisory Council and the Ulrich Museum Advisory Board.
During his life, Marvin served on the WSU Board of Trustees and the WSU Endowment Board of Governors. In 1989, he received the WSU President’s Medal. In 1990, Marvin and his wife, Bobbie, created four endowed funds with the WSU Foundation: the Bobbie and Marvin Bastian Endowed Fund for the Ulrich Museum of Art, the Bobbie and Marvin Bastian Endowed President’s Discretionary Fund, the H. Marvin Bastian Endowed Business Fund and the Bobbie J. Bastian Endowed Fellowship in the School of Music.
Fidelity Bank also has given generously to support the Advanced Education in General Dentistry building, the Miró Conservation Campaign, the Tom Otterness Sculpture Fund, the Ulrich Museum Exhibition Fund and WSU athletics.
ASSOCIATE: Goebel Family - Star Lumber Foundation
Star Lumber and Supply is a fifth-generation, family-owned company that prides itself on giving back to the community that has given so much to it.
In 1939, Earl Goebel opened a lumber yard in west Wichita, foreseeing the future expansion of the city. Star now provides home improvement and construction materials throughout central Kansas and Oklahoma. It has three divisions: Star Lumber and Supply, Star Flooring and Decoration and Perfection Structural Components. It won the Wichita Eagle’s Reader’s Choice Award for best flooring company for several years in a row, including 2012, and in 2010 received the Spirit of Wichita award from the Wichita Metro Chamber of Commerce.
Recognizing a need in the communities that it serves, the Goebel family established the Goebel Family-Star Lumber Charitable Foundation to administer funds to charities in those communities. Through this entity, the Goebel family has made contributions to organizations such as Boy Scouts of America, Habitat for Humanity, Rainbows United Inc. and YMCA. It also established the Earl and Mathilda Goebel LIGHTHouse project, which provides housing for people with intellectual disabilities and dementia.
Star established the Goebel Family Star Lumber Charitable Foundation Scholarship/Fellowship for its employees and immediate family members attending WSU. It also supports Wichita State athletics.
ASSOCIATE: Wichita Area Association of REALTORS
The Wichita Area Association of REALTORS® is a professional trade organization whose members seek to promote and advance best practices in the real estate industry and protect private property rights.
In the 1970s, John Arnold, a Wichita State alumnus and commercial real estate broker, started one of the first university real estate programs in the country in conjunction with the W. Frank Barton School of Business at Wichita State. WAAR helped raise funds for the endowed chair and faculty positions for the program and has continued to make annual contributions.
In 2000, Stanley Longhofer started the Center for Real Estate at WSU to provide annual activities that promote and support higher education in real estate in Wichita. The Center for Real Estate does not receive state funding and relies on contributions made by real estate associations, including WAAR. Annually, 50 to 60 students earn their real estate licenses at WSU and many join the association, becoming professional REALTORS®.
[ return to top ]