Dr. Cramer Reed earned his bachelor’s in biological science from the University of Wichita in 1937. Mrs. Geney Reed earned her bachelor’s in American studies from WSU in 1970. After graduation, they both continued to be active with the university.
Dr. Reed was a life member of the Alumni Association and served on numerous Alumni Association committees, as well as being a member of their board of directors and past president. He served on the Board of Regents and was a member of the WSU board of trustees. He served as vice-president of health education and was the first dean of the College of Health Professions. In 1980, the D. Cramer Reed Lecture Hall was dedicated in his honor at the formal opening of the Health Sciences Building, known as Ahlberg Hall. Dr. Reed also was a driving force behind the Wichita branch of the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He died in 2007, at age 91.
Mrs. Geney Reed is a life member of the Alumni Association and Fairmount Society. Former Wichita Mayor, Bob Knight, called the Reeds’ contribution to bettering the community ‘almost overwhelming.’
Dr. Reed and his wife, Mrs. Geney Reed, endowed two other funds at WSU for scholarship and departmental support. The Geney and Cramer Reed Faculty Development Fund is for faculty and staff expenses of the College of Health Professions.